If you ever spied pretty little mini heads of lettuce, neatly compacted into petite bundles in varying colors of green and red, then you’ve probably had an encounter with Little Gem lettuce, a variety popular among chef’s and small organic farmers. I grow it in my garden, and purchase it frequently at my local farmers market in Ojai. You can also find it in well-stocked super markets. This Little Gem Pea Salad recipe showcases a fresh, spring salad featuring little gem lettuce, vegetable sprouts, dill, sweet peas, sprouted red lentils, and lemon, with a touch of EVOO. It’s super easy to prepare, and packed with the tender, sunny flavors of the farm. With only 6 ingredients, you can whip up this healthy, vegan, gluten-free Little Gem Pea Salad in under 10 minutes. If you don’t have Little Gem lettuce, substitute with any tender lettuce green, such as butter or leaf lettuce.
With only 6 ingredients, you can whip up this healthy, vegan, gluten-free Little Gem Pea Salad in under 10 minutes.
- 2 small heads (4 ounces or 4 cups each) Little Gem lettuce, separated in small leaves
- 1 cup vegetable sprouts (i.e., radish, pea, alfalfa, sunflower, kohlrabi)*
- ½ cup fresh chopped dill
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen), shelled sweet peas
- 1 cup fresh sprouted red lentils**
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, as desired
- Place lettuce leaves, vegetable sprouts, dill, peas, and red lentils in a 3 quart salad bowl.
- Toss together.
- In a small dish, mix together lemon juice and zest, salt and black pepper as desired, and whisk together until mixed.
- Drizzle over salad and toss.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 8 servings (about 1 1/3 cups each).
*Find a variety of vegetable sprouts at your farmers market, supermarket, or make them yourself.
**Find fresh sprouted red lentils at natural food stores, farmers markets, or sprout them yourself following my guide here.
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 70
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 7 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: vegan salad, gem pea salad, healthy salad, spring salad recipe
For other plant-based salad recipes, check out the following:
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information click here.